by Greg Egan
The scent of the grass, the shouts of the players, the soles of his feet striking the ground, resonated with every other moment he’d spent the same way, bridging the centuries, binding his life together. He never truly felt the scale of it when he sought it out deliberately; it was always small things, tightly focused moments like this, that burst the horizon of his everyday concerns and confronted him with the astonishing vista.
In the city of Noether, Jamil decides on the spur of the moment to join a game of quantum soccer to celebrate his emergence from sadness. During the game, he encounters a stranger, a woman who’s travelled further than anyone in Noether, and who has witnessed the one thing that nobody in the city has ever faced: the death of another human being.
- Interzone #148, October 1999.
- The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection, edited by Gardner Dozois; St. Martin's Press, New York, 2000.
- Year's Best SF 5, edited by David G. Hartwell; HarperPrism/Avon Eos, New York, 2000.
- Hayakawa's SF Magazine, March 2001. (Japanese translation)
- Supermen: Tales of the Posthuman Future, edited by Gardner Dozois; St. Martin's Press, New York, 2002.
- “Guardie di confine” in Cinquant'anni di Futuro, Mondadori/Urania, Milan, 2002. Translated by Roberto Marini. ISSN 1120-5288 / Number 1450 (The Urania SF line is published as a paperback periodical.) (Italian translation)
- Reasons to be Cheerful and Other Stories (collection, Hayakawa) Translated by Makoto Yamagishi. (Japanese translation)
- The Locus Awards, edited by Charles N. Brown and Jonathan Strahan; Harper/Eos, New York, 2004.
- Beyond Singularity, edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois; Ace, New York, 2005.
- “Grenswachten” in De Locus Awards, edited by Charles N. Brown and Jonathan Strahan; Uitgeverij M/De Boekerij, Amsterdam, 2006. (Dutch translation)
- “Straznicy granic” in Nowa Fantastyka #300, September 2007. Translated by Iwona Michalowska-Gabrych. (Polish translation)
- Oceanic (collection, Orion)
- Crystal Nights and Other Stories (collection, Subterranean Press) [Out of print.]
- “Gardes-frontières” in Océanique (collection, le Bélial') (French translation)
- Oceanic (collection, Greg Egan)
Information and illustrations
* Java required
science fiction writer
Border Guards / created Monday, 12 April 1999
If you link to this page, please use this URL: http://www.gregegan.net/BORDER/Border.html
Copyright © Greg Egan, 1999. All rights reserved.